Do you want a J-1 visa? Find out how you can qualify, and where you can get one.

The J-1 visa (also known as the Exchange Visitor Visa) is designed to provide educational and cultural exchange programs, and to promote the sharing of individuals, knowledge and skills in education, arts and sciences. This visa enables people to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States. Participants in this visa include students, trainees involved in on-the-job training, teachers engaged in research and teaching and international visitors interested in traveling, researching, consulting and demonstrating specific knowledge. Your spouse and/or unmarried children under the age of 21 may apply for entry under J-2 status.

To qualify for a J-1 visa, an individual must demonstrate to the U.S. government that they do not have an intention to abandon their foreign residence and meet one of the aforementioned criteria. Additionally, the individual must prove to the U.S. government that have sufficient funds to maintain themselves while in the U.S. and that they are fluent in the English language. Individuals can apply for a J-1 Visa at the US Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. While one may apply at any US consular office abroad, it is advised they apply within jurisdiction. Participants in the J exchange program should present to the consulate a Form IAP-66, prepared by a designated sponsoring organization.

The State Department recently compiled an enormous list of organizations that sponsor individuals for a J-1 visa. If you are interested in finding a J-1 sponsor, please click here to see the list of sponsoring organizations. The list is in alphabetical order and contains the qualifying category, program name, and contact information for each program.

Post A Comment / Question

Remember personal info?